Sat, Jan 21, 2023 • 10a-2p • Hughes Main Library
Join us at the Southern Author Expo for the chance to meet and greet featured regional authors as well as listen to featured speakers as they share information on topics including fiction, non-fiction, and getting your work published.
Submissions have now closed. Writers selected for participation in the Southern Author Expo will be notified during the month of November.
- Authors must live in the Southeastern United States or write primarily about the Upstate of South Carolina.
- Authors must be published (including self-published).
- Authors must complete the Southern Author Expo application accompanied by writing samples (5,000 words maximum).
- Selected authors must be available to participate in the Southern Author Expo on January 21, 2023 from 10a–2p (with additional time for setup and breakdown) at the Hughes Main Library.
- Selected authors may sell their books at their display table during the Southern Author Expo.
Guidelines & Criteria
- Books for all ages will be considered (including children’s literature and young adult).
- Preference will be given for books that appeal to a wide general audience including:
- Graphic novels
- History, biographies, travelogues, fine arts, humor, folklore, home & garden, recreation & leisure, cookbooks, and true crime
- Epublished titles, audiobooks, textbooks, or professional/academic journals will not be considered.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of library staff.
- Not all applications will be accepted. Space is limited.
- Selections will reflect a diverse group of genres and writing styles that have the widest appeal to the community at large.
Important to Note
- Selected authors will not be offered compensation or a speaker’s fee.
- Authors will be expected to handle any sale of their book(s). Library staff will not assist with sales. Direct links to sale sites will not be included in Library publicity.
- Selected authors may submit a short sample (if different from the application sample) to be featured on the Library’s website (see examples from 2022 below). Selected authors must include copyright permissions for displayed excerpts.
- Authors who have participated in previous author events with Greenville County Library System need to re-apply for consideration.
- The Library will provide one 6’ table with a gray tablecloth and two chairs. Space assignments will be provided to authors upon check-in on the day of the event.
This event was generously sponsored by the Friends of the Greenville County Library System!