Each year, the Library System invites submissions from local authors to participate in this special event. With approximately a dozen authors selected each year, the Southern Author Expo offers the chance for local authors to share insights about their work during a virtual event.
Are you a local author interested in participating in the Southern Author Expo? Please review submission information and consider submitting your work today!
Oct 11–Oct 31, 2021
Submissions are now being accepted for participation in the virtual Southern Author Expo. Participants will be chosen based on considerations below, and will be notified by during late November.
Feeling curious? Please see below for the authors featured in this event during January 2021.
- Authors must live in the Southeastern United States or write primarily about the Upstate of South Carolina.
- Authors must be published (including self-published).
- Authors must complete the Southern Author Expo application (link to online application form) including the submission of writing samples.
- Selected authors must be available to participate in this virtual Southern Author Expo on January 22, 2022 from 2p–3:45p (allow 15 minutes before start time to sign on and check for audiovisual issues).
- Selected authors may sell their book through a link provided during the Southern Author Expo virtual event.
Guidelines & Criteria
- Books for all ages will be considered (including literature for children and young adult audiences).
- Preference will be given for books that appeal to a wide general audience including
- Graphic novels
- History, biographies, travelogues, fine arts, humor, folklore, home & garden, recreation & leisure, cookbooks, and true crime
- Epublished titles, audiobooks, textbooks, or professional/academic journals will not be considered.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of library staff.
- Not all applications will be accepted. Space is limited.
- Selections will reflect a diverse group of genres and writing styles that have the widest appeal to the community at large.
Important to Note
- Selected authors will not be offered compensation or a speaker’s fee.
- Library staff will not assist with sales. Direct links to sale sites will not be included in print or digital Library publicity.
- Selected authors may submit a short sample (if different from the application sample) to be featured on this page of the Library’s website (see examples from 2021 below). Selected authors must include copyright permissions for displayed excerpts.
- Authors who have participated in previous author events need to re-apply for consideration.
2021 Featured Writers
We were excited to welcome over a dozen local authors to our virtual Expo. Featured writers included Paulette Alden, Ellyn Bache, Evelyn Everest, Paul Michael Garrison, Emily Golus, Colleen Hall, Sally Handley, Emily Martin, Charles Pate, Jr., Jordan Poss, Deb Richardson-Moore, Kimberly Simms, Kathryn Smith, and Susan Zurenda.
Their works span an array of genres including children's literature, young adult, and adult fiction; romance, nonfiction, fantasy, science fiction, poetry, and more. Our community learned about their writing process during this live virtual event.
Meet the Author Events 2021
Featured authors shared their process, their work, and information about the writing process and getting published.