The Greenville County Library System traces its beginnings to 1921 when the library consisted of some 500 volumes in a vacant store room on East Coffee Street. Thomas F. Parker, a local businessman and philanthropist who initially garnered community support for this public institution, served as Chairman of the Board. In 1923, Mr. Parker purchased a three-quarter-ton truck, and had it fitted with glass doors, thus introducing the first ever Bookmobile in the South to meet the needs of Greenville County's mill communities.
Today, the Library System has grown to twelve locations. And the Bookmobile still makes weekly stops delivering books and fond memories. The Library remains dedicated to providing free access to materials, experiences, and resources to communities throughout Greenville County.