Can’t find the materials you are looking for? Our InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service provides access to materials not available in our collection. We can search other library systems outside Greenville County for the materials you need, and have them sent to the Library System location of your choice for pick up. First-time users will need to create an account in our online ILL system.
Due to public health concerns, effective 5p on Tuesday, March 17, the library system is closing to the public until further notice. ILL requests will not be available until the library reopens. All patrons with checked out ILL items may keep those items without late fees until the library reopens. At that time, all ILL items that are past their due dates should be returned as soon as possible.
- For: Adult or unrestricted Juvenile library card holders. This service is not available to reciprocal county library card holders.
- Items you may request: Any item that was published prior to the current calendar year and isn’t in our collection including:
- Books (eBooks are not available through ILL)
- Audiovisual materials (DVDs, audiobooks on CD, music CDs, and more)
- Microfilm and microfiche
- Musical scores
- Articles from periodicals and newspapers, and book chapters.
- Cost: $1 per item requested must be paid at pick up. There is no charge if we are unable to locate the item for borrowing.
- Additional fines & fees: Some lending libraries charge a fee to lend their materials or provide copies through ILL. These fees will be added to your total cost. If you are not willing to pay any extra fees, leave the “Lending Library Fee” box empty on the ILL Loan Request Form, and the ILL department will not fill your request from any libraries that charge extra fees. In some cases, this may mean that your request will go unfulfilled.
- Overdue Fines: If your ILL item becomes overdue, a fine of $1 per item per day will be assessed with a maximum fine of $10 per item.
- Lost items: Any lost ILL items are charged a replacement fee based on the lost item policy of the lending library (not the Greenville County Library System). In some cases, this fee can be very high, and will be charged to your account.
- Checkout & request limit: You may have five combined ILL requests and checkouts at a time.
- Loan period: Determined by the lending library and may vary from one to eight weeks.
- Renewals: Only one renewal is allowed per ILL item; however, some lending libraries do not permit renewals. If that is the case, the ILL department will contact you and the item must be returned to the Library as soon as possible.
- Pick-up location: Items requested through ILL may be picked up at the Library System location of your choice.
- Wait time: ILL requests may take approximately 2 weeks to arrive although time may vary. Due to restrictions and availability issues, some ILL requests will not be able to be filled. If your request cannot be fulfilled, it will be cancelled and you will be notified with the reason for the cancellation.