- Mon-Thu • 9a-9p
- Fri-Sat • 9a-6p
- Sun • Closed
Greenville, SC 29607
Branch ManagerMichael Evans
Captain Nathaniel Austin, the first permanent white settler in Greenville County, built a log cabin in the Mauldin area; one of his descendants still owns a house built on the site in 1830. The community that grew up took the name Butler's Crossroads after Willis Butler who bought up land in the area. Churches, grist and cotton mills, and a post office soon appeared. In 1910, the state awarded the town a charter and changed its name from Butler's Crossroads to Mauldin in honor of a previous Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina William Lawrence (Pope) Mauldin.
With the boll weevil infestation of the early 1900s, cotton yields in the area began dropping, and when the depression set in, the town hit bottom. From 1932 to 1957 its charter was inactive. Today, its fortunes have revived along with the other towns in the Golden Strip, and industry and population growth have been enormous. Mauldin does not have a recognizable downtown area, unlike the nearby towns of Fountain Inn and Simpsonville. Many descendants of Mauldin's early settlers still live here. Some natives, like the actor Orlando Jones and the NBA star Kevin Garnett, have gone on to fame.
In the early years, books were brought to Mauldin by the Library extension service, first in the school and later with biweekly visits from the bookmobile. This changed in 1961, when the citizens persuaded the Library to stock books in two unused rooms of the town hall. A visit to this little collection from Arthur Magill, textile entrepreneur and noted collector of Wyeth paintings, resulted in the gift of a building which opened in 1962. This location served for decades as a focal point of community life. The library moved to the new W. Jack Greer Library in August 29, 1999.