Librarian III Branch Supervisor (MLIS Degree Required), Five Forks Branch Library
- Announcement Number
- 2022-088 Re-Opened
- Posting Date
- Friday, September 9, 2022
- Full-Time, Exempt
- Five Forks Branch Library, 104 Sunnydale Drive, Simpsonville, South Carolina
- WK 1: Mon. 2:00p-9:00p; Tues. & Wed. 8:30a-5:00p; Thurs. 1:00p-9:00p; and Sat. 8:30a-6:00p
WK 2: Sun. 1:30p-6:00p; Mon. & Thurs. 1:00p-9:00p; Wed. 8:30a-5:00p; and Fri. 8:30a-6:00p
WKS 3 & 4: Mon. 2:00p-9:00p; Tues. & Wed. 8:30a-5:00p; Thurs. 1:00p-9:00p; and Fri. 8:30a-6:00p
- $45,765 per year, plus benefits
- September 2022
- Application Deadline
- Open until filled
The employee in this position assists the Branch Manager with scheduling, directing, coaching, and supervising the staff and activities related to the operation of the Five Forks Branch of the Greenville County Library System (Library). The staff member embodies the Library’s code of service by creating an atmosphere where customers and employees feel invited, informed, impressed and inspired. This person greets customers and employees with a welcoming smile and enthusiastically provides knowledgeable and meaningful assistance in the discovery and use of Library resources, services and technology. The Branch Supervisor serves as the person in charge in the Branch Manager’s absence and supervises part-time staff at the branch. Work is performed under general supervision, in accord with the Library’s vision and mission, using good judgment in the application of policies and established procedures.
Required Knowledge, Skills/Abilities & Characteristics
(Testing of computer skills may be part of the interview process for this position.)
- Thorough knowledge of modern library principles and of procedures and skills applicable to public libraries.
- Knowledge of supervisory methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of the functions of reference and readers’ advisory services.
- Computer literate with knowledge of Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers and email.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic.
- Some knowledge of publisher and dealer practices and methods.
- Ability to operate and care for computers and their peripherals, e.g. RFID pads, printers, etc.
- Ability to learn the Library’s integrated system software, i.e. an automation system used to manage Library processes.
- Ability to demonstrate to customers the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases.
- Ability to learn and demonstrate the use of current mobile device technology to assist customers in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks.
- Ability to learn and enforce the Library’s policies, procedures and regulations to customers and employees.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of customer records and other identifiable customer uses of Library resources and services, security related incidents and personnel issues.
- Ability to learn and enforce Federal and State laws pertaining to employment.
- Ability to supervise and direct the work of others and provide coaching, training and disciplinary actions as needed.
- Ability to effectively use independent judgment to resolve staff, patron and operational problems within established guidelines.
- Ability to deal with difficult individuals in unusual situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate concepts, general information and task related information in oral, written and electronic forms.
- Ability to learn, implement and maintain complex filing systems including the Dewey Decimal System with a high level of accuracy.
- Preferred: Bilingual – English/Spanish skills.
- Preferred: Touch typing skills.
- Enjoys interacting with people and possesses a strong commitment to providing an exemplary customer experience.
- Enjoys working in a leadership role, providing direction and guidance to staff.
- Establishes rapport with others in person and on the telephone, and maintains effective working relationships with customers and coworkers.
- Works calmly and effectively in stressful situations and in a sometimes noisy and chaotic environment.
- Follows established procedures and instructions received from supervisor.
- Possesses strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Works well in a team environment.
- Values technology as a tool, staying on top of technology trends.
- Recognizes change as an opportunity for growth.
- Performs routine tasks efficiently and without difficulty.
- Uses good judgment and discretion in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
- Is receptive to feedback, willing to learn and embraces continuous improvement.
- Takes ownership of work, does what is needed without being asked and follows through until task is resolved.
- Arrives on time, works hours as scheduled and maintains a good attendance record.
Minimum Training & Experience
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an A.L.A. accredited college or university
- Three years of library experience, one at a supervisory or leadership level.
- Demonstrably progressive work experience showing an increase in the level of duties and responsibilities.
- Certified or eligible for certification by the South Carolina State Library.
- Other combinations of experience and training, which meet the minimum requirements, may be substituted.
- Supervisory or leadership experience in a public library.
Must have the ability to:
- concentrate for long periods of time
- speak clearly and distinctly
- hear and/or comprehend verbal communication
- hear audible alarms and notifications
- see and interpret all job-related materials
- operate library equipment as assigned
- lift up to 25 pounds and push book carts weighing over 100 pounds
- sit for long periods of time
- stand for long periods of time
- walk, bend and stoop
- reach, grasp and use hands to finger, handle, or feel
- tolerate dust and mold associated with working with books and other library materials
Examples of Work Performed
These tasks are illustrative only; to carry out the day-to-day functions of the job, other duties may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position. Essential job functions designated with (E).
- Assists the Branch Manager with assigning, instructing, directing and supervising branch staff to implement the branch service plan. (E)
- Directly supervises part-time branch staff. (E)
- Provides training for subordinates; reviews performance of subordinates and makes recommendations for improvement/growth as appropriate. (E)
- Assists the Branch Manager with preparing staff schedules, approving leave requests and requesting assistance when supplemental coverage is needed. (E)
- Provides reference service to library patrons, staff and others. (E)
- Assists customers with identifying, locating and using Library materials. (E)
- Provides circulation services, including registering new borrowers, updating customers records, resolving account issues, etc. (E)
- Provides Readers’ Advisory services. (E)
- Assists customers with the use of computer equipment, Windows operating system, MS Office, various Internet browsers, email and the Library’s website; including the online catalog and databases. (E)
- Communicates and enforces the Library’s Code of Conduct and other policies, procedures and rules to customers and employees. (E)
- Assists in various aspects of programming for young adults and/or adults, including planning, organizing, preparing materials, presenting and/or providing instruction. (E)
- Promotes library programs and assists customers in registering for them. (E)
- Coordinates the interviews of applicants for supervised staff positions and makes recommendations for selecting new employees. (E)
- Reads book reviews and makes acquisition recommendations to supervisor. (E)
- Assesses Library materials for needed repair or repackaging and identifies items for discard/replacement. (E)
- Assists the Branch Manager in planning for changes and improvements in unit operations, including budget recommendations and formulation of goals and objectives (E).
- Demonstrates knowledge of computer applications and participates in planning and administration of automation at branch level. (E)
- Assists customers with current mobile device technology and assist them in downloading and/or accessing the Library’s online digital materials such as eBooks. (E)
- Makes appropriate referrals to other Library units, agencies, etc., for information or materials not available at work location. (E)
- Opens and closes branch according to established procedures. (E)
- Ensures that branch cleanliness, safety and maintenance issues are reported promptly and properly; submits Help Desk requests to resolve problems. (E)
- Receives and compiles statistics, memos, documentation, reports, correspondence, etc. (E)
- Uses reports generated from the integrated library system (ILS) and other library automation providers to analyze and improve branch operations and services. (E)
- Reviews and studies professional literature to keep abreast of developments in library and information science. (E)
- Answers questions on library operations, policies, and procedures and handles problems and complaints. (E)
- Assists with establishing relationships with organizations and groups in the community to promote library services and programs and participates in community events on behalf of the Library upon request. (E)
- Responsible for the accurate collection and reporting of fines and fees. (E)
- Coordinates use of branch meeting spaces and maintenance of meeting room calendar. (E)
- Works with Volunteer Coordinator to train, schedule and supervise volunteers in the branch as appropriate.
- Operates and assists in maintaining library equipment, including self-checkout stations, public and staff computers, telephones, printers, cash register, photocopier, and audiovisual equipment. Provides instruction and demonstrates use as needed. (E)
- Attends meetings, training programs, workshops, conferences, etc., as requested by supervisor and/or as funds are available. (E)
- Assists in monitoring materials received and sorted by the automated materials handling system during holidays and other library closings. (E)
- Assists in conducting inventory of Library collections. (E)
- Ensures safe work methods are followed to prevent injury. (E)
- Works a schedule that meets the needs of the unit. (E)
- Engages customers by creating and maintaining displays that promote Library resources and services.
- May conduct presentations, orientation sessions and tours for groups.
- Performs other related duties as required.