Expanded Library Services
Starting July 6, the Greenville County Library System is excited to announce the reopening of the Hughes Main Library in downtown Greenville for brief browsing, computer use, and South Carolina Room research appointments.
Also starting July 6, curbside holds pickup service has been expanded to include all branch library locations. Curbside holds pickup service at Hughes Main Library has ended.
Curbside holds pickup and other library services may be modified based on the Library System’s ability to provide them in a physically distanced manner and as resources needed to help limit the spread of COVID-19 can be obtained. We will continue to monitor guidance received from government agencies including the Governor’s Office, the CDC, and SC DHEC.
Return Your Checked Out Materials
Exterior book returns at all 12 Greenville County Library System locations are reopened. You may return your Library materials to any library system location. With the health and safety of Library staff and the community being a high priority, all returned materials will be quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours before they are made available for use again. Please expect a delay of several days before returned items are removed from your library account. No overdue fines will be assessed during this time.
Please note: Do not deposit your book donations in these exterior book returns. We are so thankful for the generosity of our community, and are working on a plan for accepting materials donations again in the future.
Curbside Holds Pickup
Curbside Holds Pickup service is now available at 11 library locations. This service is available only to library cardholders who have been notified that their materials are ready for pickup. Patrons may place up to five (5) holds online or over the phone.
Curbside Holds Pickup Locations & Hours:
Anderson Road Branch, Augusta Road Branch, Berea Branch, Five Forks Branch, Fountain Inn Branch, Greer Branch, Mauldin Branch, Pelham Road Branch, Simpsonville Branch, Taylors Branch & Travelers Rest Branch
Mon-Thu • 10a-8p
Fri & Sat • 10a-5p
Please note: Do not bring your book donations to the curbside hold pickup stations. We are so thankful for the generosity of our community, and are working on a plan for accepting materials donations again in the future.
How to Guide for Curbside Holds Pickup
- Once you receive a holds pickup notification please call the library location where your item is available to let Library staff know when you wish to pick up your item(s).
- Please be ready to provide your library card number over the phone so staff can check out your materials to your library account and have them ready for you when you arrive.
- Curbside holds pickup service is being provided on a walk-up basis. Please visit the curbside service table located near the entrance. Please note: Please use the drive-up window for holds being picked up at the Five Forks Branch.
- Please be ready to provide your first and last name and the last five (5) digits of your library card number to ensure quick service. Library staff will retrieve your materials and place them on the service table for you to pick up.
- Take your materials home to enjoy!
- What services are available at curbside?
Our curbside holds pickup is set up to ensure a quick delivery of items you have already placed on hold and which have already been checked out to you prior to your arrival at the pickup location. Library staff providing this service will also be equipped to assist with fine payment, card renewals, and eCard conversions.
- How many items may I place on hold?
Library patrons may now place up to five (5) new holds online or over the phone and arrange for them to be picked up at one of the select library locations offering curbside holds pickup service.
- During what hours can I reach Library staff by phone to arrange for hold pickup?
Library staff are available by phone or email at all library system locations on Mondays through Thursdays from 10a-8p and on Fridays & Saturdays from 10a-5p to help with questions about your holds.
- Is the Library observing safety precautions with its curbside holds pickup service?
To provide the safest possible service experience for Library staff and our community, your materials are minimally and safely handled from start to finish, and your contact with a Library staff person is limited to picking up your already checked out items from a service table which is set up to maintain a distance of at least six feet between you and Library staff.
Our curbside holds pickup services are designed based on information from several government agencies including the Governor’s Office, the CDC, SCDHEC, FEMA, and EEOC.
- Will I need to wear a mask?
Curbside holds pickup service does not require you to wear a mask and is set up to ensure a quick delivery of items you have placed on hold and which have already been checked out to you prior to your arrival at the pickup location. We encourage all patrons and Library staff to maintain six feet of distance from others.
- I don’t want the items I previously placed on hold. What should I do?
Please login to your online library account and cancel any holds you are no longer interested in picking up. If you are unable to access your online account but would like to cancel your holds, please contact the Library location where your items are being held or call our Reference Department at 864-527-9258.
- When will my library branch reopen?
Curbside holds pickup and other library services may be modified based on the Library System’s ability to provide them in a socially distanced manner and as resources needed to help limit the spread of COVID-19 can be obtained. We will continue to monitor guidance received from government agencies including the Governor’s Office, the CDC, and SC DHEC.
- Are any Library locations receiving book donations to support the Friends of the Library?
Not at this time. Due to public health concerns, the Friends of the Library have postponed all used book sales and volunteer opportunities at the Merovan Center book sale warehouse until further notice. Space is needed at all Library locations to quarantine all returned materials. We ask that you please continue to hold on to your donations while the Friends make plans to resume their book sales. You may call 864-527-9291 to check for updates to this schedule.