Birth to Five
What is early literacy?
Early literacy is what children know about reading and writing long before
they can actually read and write.
Can't I just wait until my child
Don't wait. Shared early literacy experiences will be very rewarding for both
of you and will help prepare your child for later reading and writing success.
How do I create these early
Do this by TALKING, READING, WRITING, SINGING and PLAYING with your child.
These activities will help build essential literacy skills.
Attention parents, daycare providers and caregivers!
Would you like to learn simple steps that will help to prepare your
infant or young child for later reading success? Our staff is eager
to share their skills and experience in the area of Early Literacy.
Email us or call 527-9249 to schedule an Every Child Ready to Read®
workshop at your location for a minimum of 12 adults. Select a 1.5 or
2.5 hour workshop approved by the SC Department of Social Services
for childcare training hours.
The South Carolina Day by Day Family Literacy Activity Calendar is an
online tool that families, caregivers, educators and librarians can use
at home and in the classroom to further develop early literacy skills–
helping young children prepare for and perform better in school. This
website provides families and caretakers a full year's worth of activities
that build early literacy skills in fun and educational ways.
If you've ever needed to know how to get your baby to sleep through
the night, how to stop your toddler from throwing himself down on
the ground in the middle of the grocery store or how to explain the
loss of a grandparent or favorite pet to a small child, then this is the
place to look for guidance.
Looking for a good book to read to your child at night? Planning a
story time program for your preschool class? Looking to get into
storytelling as a hobby? The PEC collection can help you there
too! Our Parenting and Early Childhood collection is available at
each of our 10 branches as well as the Hughes Main Library.
We offer a variety of programs for children 0-5, including:
- Bilingual Story Time - An English/Spanish story time for all ages.
Cuentos bilingües en inglés y español para todas las edades.
- Bouncing Babies – Stories, rhymes and bouncing games for babies
1 month-18 months with an adult caregiver.
- Grandbaby Books - Stories and songs centered on a theme. All ages.
- KinderCraft - Simple crafts that enhance reading readiness skills.
- Let's Pretend - Themed stories and songs that lead to guided pretend
play. Ages 2-5.
- Mother Goose on the Loose – Rhymes, rhythm and fun for babies 1
month-24 months with an adult caregiver. No groups. Three children
per adult caregiver maximum.
- Musical Jamboree - Explore children's literature using music, song
and dance. Ages 18 months-4 years.
- Story Time - 30 minutes of stories, music and games for preschool children.
- Toddler Tales - 30 minutes of stories, music and movement designed for
toddlers 19+ months.