GREENVILLE (SC) COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY
To assist in fulfilling our mission to serve Greenville County as the best provider of guided access to quality resources for information, education and leisure, the Greenville County Library System (hereinafter, referred to as "Library") will create content for social media portals and applications utilized by the Library. Content will relate to library resources, programs and events that the Library is promoting.
By choosing to comment, users agree to abide by this policy and acknowledge that they are broadcasting their location and/or information to the Internet at large. All posted content is subject to the Freedom of Information Act.
Postings related to Library content will be monitored by designated Library staff on a regular basis during normal hours of Library operation. Postings by the public should be related to library resources or to the content posted by the Library staff. The Library respects and recognizes differences of opinion; however, members of the public who post content that is determined by Library staff to be in violation of the Library's Code of Conduct may be blocked from posting further content. Additionally, such content will be deleted.
Prohibited content includes, but is not limited to:
- Content inconsistent with Internet Use Policy standards.
- Content that is profane or harassing, or ridicules, denigrates, insults, belittles, or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual or group because of national origin, race, color, religion, age, sex, appearance, disability, genetic information or other protected status as defined by Federal or South Carolina state law.
- Libelous or slanderous content.
- Plagiarized or copyrighted material reproduced without permission or authority.
- Private, personal information about another person without appropriate consent or authority.
- Commercial advertising or solicitation.
- Photos or other images that fall in any of the above categories.
Individuals who are blocked for posting prohibited content may appeal in writing to the Library's Executive Director.
The Library is not responsible for, nor endorses, any non-Library related content posted by the public or content available on social media portals or applications. Parents and/or guardians are solely responsible for the use of Library-created social media content by their children under the age of 18.
Users who post to Library-created content give the Library the right to reproduce and/or reuse their content for Library-related purposes. By posting content, the user agrees to indemnify the Library and its and employees from and against all liabilities, judgments, damages, and costs (including attorneys' fees) incurred by any of them which arise out of or are related to the posted content.