GREENVILLE (SC) COUNTY LIBRARY SYSTEM
PUBLIC PROGRAMS POLICY
In order to further the Library's vision "to be a beacon of learning excellence that is recognized as a world-class organization, a cultural and information leader of the Upstate, and the destination of choice for exploring your world," the Greenville County Library System (hereinafter referred to as "Library") provides a variety of public programs. The Library initiates programs and related exhibits to highlight and promote the services and resources of the Library and to provide general enjoyment and lifelong learning opportunities for the community. The Library may participate in cooperative or joint programs with outside agencies, organizations, institutions, or individuals in order to expand the Library's role as a community resource.
Youth Services Programs
A wide variety of Library programs are conducted for youth of all ages and their families, especially for the purpose of:
- promoting reading, cultural awareness, technology skills, appreciation for the arts, and the use of library resources and services;
- broadening literary and language experience; and/or
- sharing the heritage of children's literature.
Programs, such as story times, musical and craft programs, and book discussions provide active learning experiences in a social setting with other youth and adults.
A wide variety of programming is offered for adults of all ages, with priority given to programs that:
- promote reading, literacy, cultural awareness and appreciation for the arts;
- enhance use of the Library's various collections; and/or
- improve research and life skills and the use of technology.
Programs, such as book discussions, lectures, panel discussions, and game-based activities provide opportunities for participants to engage in learning experiences with others.